Wednesday, November 21, 2012

My view on the Walmart strikes


Dear Change in Walmart union.

YOU DON’T SPEAK FOR ME!   You say you want to get me more money but how much of that money would really go to paying your dues?

How much are you going to raise my wages? I already make a good pay for what I do.  I don’t make as much as my brothers who work in a factory but I am NOT facing the same dangers they are nor do I have to have the years of training that they needed to do my job.

You say you want to make my job safer but you plan these walk outs and picket lines on the one night were we rely on the fact of SAFETY in numbers.

When you start working in Retail you should have realize that it means working the holidays.  If it really bothers you that much go find another job.  Oh wait there isn't many other jobs that have the holidays completely off and that list is getting shorter every year.  Most factories might shut down for the holidays but many don’t and, those jobs are hard to find as most of factories are not hiring right now.  Most restaurants and places of entertainment also don’t close on the holidays.

Let’s also look at WHY Walmart and many other retailers are doing these Thanksgiving sales.  On the morning of Black Friday in 2008 a Walmart employee was KILLED when he was trampled by people running in.  By STAYING open and staggering when things go on sale it is SAFER then the mad dash it use to be.  It also runs smoother with the long lines.  As if you are only there for the DVDs you can be in and out before the people who are buying the big ticket items so the lines do get long but, they happen at intervals instead of all at once.

Also I once got an e-mail from you and only in the fine print did you identify yourself as a union.  So how many of your numbers did you TRICK into joining?

I don't need a union for anything.  I have a decent paycheck, full health and life insurance, paid vacation, sick leave, even the chance to further my education.  I also have a safe place to work.
So Thanks for NOTHING. 

No comments:

Post a Comment